I have worked in education for over 30 years as a Visiting Lecturer, External Assessor and Course Validator. Much of my work has been in London in Colleges like Kingston School of Art, Central St Martins, London College of Fashion and Royal College of Art but I've visited a huge a variety places for one off lectures. As of February 2016, I'm delighted to hold a Professorial post at Kingston University.
My recommendation for a Centre for Sustainable Fashion was taken up by the London College of Fashion in 2005 and my Diversity NOW! Lectures conceived whilst co-directing All Walks Beyond the Catwalk promote body image politicisation and give stealth feminism a broader reach. This and other initiatives had helped change the curriculums of 7 colleges by the time I stepped away in 2015. In 2014 I visited 25 colleges in the UK from Edinburgh to Southampton and one in Canada. We also launched the Edinburgh College of Art/All Walks Centre of Diversity. Director Mal Burkinshaw Head of Womenswear at Edinburgh remains a constant inspiration for his innovative process.
I've collected some honorary degrees, which has made my elderly parents proud and I've had the chance to pose in gowns and cloaks that remind me of medieval costume. That's been especially nice!
My latest post as Professor of Diversity at Kingston University has given me to the chance to work closely with young creatives on issues of ethical process pertaining to identity and self esteem. Kingston has been declared a high ranking fashion college globally, so I am delighted to take up this position.
Educational work and posts have provided me with some of the most fulfilling ways to spend my day and easily many of the most heartwarming moments!
- Honorary Doctorate from Kingston University.
- Honorary Fellow at the Arts University College of Bournemouth
- Visiting Fellow at London College of Fashion.
- Ambassador for the London College of Fashion's Centre of Sustainability.
- Educational Director for the UK's premier fashion consumer-show: Clothes Show Live.
- Online lecturer/mentor for mastered.com
I've completed my MSc in Applied Psychology in Fashion at London College of Fashion. My research and findings have been very well received and I'm currently working on a book treatment to broadcast the results and empower the next generation of young creatives to become disruptive fashion lovers!
Lectures you can request:
1. I am a Disruptive Fashion Lover: A career in fashion over 35 years.
2. The importance of selfhood: What is it and why do we desperately need an understanding of it in fashion education.
3. The psychology and the sickness of the objectified woman: Similar to the above but much harder hitting.
4. Diversity as a future ethical consideration: Does what it says on the packet.
5. Emotional Intelligence and its importance to creative collaboration.
6. Leadership: How to evaluate and progress your leadership potential.
7. The history of fashion culture: A pre-digital and post digital journey for young people who can't begin to imaging how the internet has impacted upon their thinking.